With Halloween just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about how to stay healthy during the holidays. Each holiday has its own nutrition dangers, and Halloween is one of the worst! Sugar, empty calories, and processed food – that’s almost as scary as the costumes! So, do you know which candies are scariest, and which are acceptable for satisfying your sweet tooth? Here are the five BEST and five WORST candies of the holiday:
Twix: At 286 calories, 27 grams of fat and 11
grams of sugar, this is one treat that’s pretty scary.
2. Milky Way: Lower in fat than Twix, but even higher in sugar. Beware!
3. Butterfinger: The name says it all!
4. Rolos: looks like caramel is the feared ingredient in these candies.
5. M&Ms: a classic, but sadly not so healthy.
York Peppermint Patties: Low cal mint + dark
chocolate = not too bad!
2. Dark chocolate: rich in antioxidants.
3. Peanut or Almond M&Ms: Nuts reduce the calorie count, plus they’re NUTritious.
4. Blow Pops: Very low calorie, but mind the sugar intake.
5. 3 Musketeers: Relatively low calorie and low fat, but still stick to miniature size to minimize your unhealthy intake.
And remember, funsize = best size: Sounds obvious enough right? But you would be surprised how many people use the excuse “well, I’ve already splurged so I’ll just have a whole one.” Remember that it’s ok to treat yourself a little bit, and a fun-sized candy bar is a nice compromise for staying healthy.
Have a safe and happy Halloween!